There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Breakwater Review only accepts previously unpublished work and is glad to review simultaneous submissions, but please inform us if your writing is accepted elsewhere. Breakwater is published ONLINE two times per year, in January and June. Submission cut-off dates are as follows:
- December 1 for the January issue
- May 1 for the June issue.
We receive a large number of submissions. Our submission guidelines are set up to facilitate our editorial process. Please follow the instructions below to enter your submission or your manuscript will be automatically withdrawn:
- Please use either .doc or .docx file formats. Submissions in other formats will not be accepted. If your submission that requires a different format, please contact us at email@example.com
- Submit up to 5,000 words of fiction or 3 poems per reading period. Please do not exceed the submission limits.
- For poems, submit up to 3 poems in a single document with each poem starting on a new page.
The Peseroff Prize Poetry Contest:
“Whenever something new develops in poetry, many will argue, ‘That’s not poetry.’ Think of the reception of William Carlos Williams . . . spoken word poets, poets who incorporate graphics, poets who write in code so robots can read them. It’s all poetry.” –Joyce PeseroffBreakwater Review is proud to announce The Peseroff Prize: publication and $1,000 for a single poem. The Peseroff Prize honors Joyce Peseroff’s work as a poet, teacher, editor, innovator, and mentor. She helped found the MFA Program in Creative Writing at the University of Massachusetts Boston, served as its first director, and retired from teaching in 2014.
Submit up to three poems and a $10 entry fee. There are no restrictions on content or form: “it’s all poetry.” When submitting multiple poems, include each poem on a separate page in the same document. Please keep submissions to no more than 5 pages. Poems should be previously unpublished. The winner and finalists will be published in our September issue.
Deadline: May 15